Friday, October 24, 2008

Seg - Issue 1: Augustus Waiting in the Wings

Augustus Waiting in the Wings

I talk to myself. Don’t act so surprised and be honest; I know everyone talks to themselves! “Excuse me, sorry, yea, that was my foot. No problem.” Except that it is a problem. I hate how crowded it is here, not that I’m claustrophobic or anything, but for God’s sake, maybe scheduled an examination in building where five-hundred students can wait comfortably. Or at least can breathe properly. And who the ***** is this guy in front of me?! ‘Take a bath man!’ I hate when people who are predisposed to spelling bad refuse to bathe; it just takes the Stank to next level. Ha. Level up with stank! I gotta’ remember to tell the guys about this one: ‘Sorry Jesse no gorgeous women to report on, just overweight, slightly balding teenagers, wearing ‘Billy Talent’ T’s, and sporting huge pit stains.’

“What? What’d you say?” Quipped the large boy.
“I didn’t say anything.” A short pause ensued, leaving both rather confused.

Odd. Now he’s talking to me? This situation just went from bad to ‘dear God why?’ ‘Smile’ good Ryan, and maybe the troll won’t pummel you. I should be thinking about my exam right now. I should be thinking about how I studied too much for such a simple test. I should be thinking about how some people here are going to fail because they ‘don’t do reading.’ Come on folks, Simpson could not have made it any easier then if he had offered us his brain for the day! Alright man, shut up and focus for a minute. The exam starts in 3, ‘Can someone please open a window or something?’

‘Octavian became Augustus in 27, a title offered to him by the Senate, after restoring the Republic.’ Now there’s a character in history worth writing a few sentences about. Augustus was just in his twenties when he had successfully manipulated his way through the senatorial ranks. Piece by piece, he assumed all stations of power. He wasn’t strong, brave, or even charismatic, but he knew how to read people. “Soldiers work their hands, Generals use their mind.” Oh well, Augustus today, Smallville reruns tomorrow. That’s the life for me. I’m in my twenties, standing next to Jabba here, waiting for life to get real, while spending time working on things that in no way prepare me for what’s out there. Oh God, I think he just farted.

“No I didn’t! Just shut up.” The large boy was becoming angry now, and Ryan, along with some near by students were anxious.
“I didn’t say anything, calm down.”

What’s this guy’s deal? ‘relax, you’re freaking out.’

“I’m not doing what you said, I’m not!” exclaimed the boy.
Ryan tried to assure him, “I believe you, whatever it is, just be cool. It’s only an exam right?”
“Please Gentlemen; this isn’t the place for whatever you’re yelling about,” Announced a proctor from across the tiny corridor.

How ridicules; a student has a breakdown, and all this asshole can do is bark at him. Everyone here needs a breather; ‘someone open a window, please!’

In a single moment, the large boy ran with tremendous speed to a window along the wall, knocking over people on his way; his eyes were now void of reason. The window had no latch, but it did not stop the boy from breaking the glass with his open fist. The room fell to an ill silence, as the large boy smashed with all his might, tearing open his hand. Blood dripped from the shattered glass, and the boy fell to the floor, relieved. Ryan rushed over to where the boy had collapsed, watching the boy’s face turn from joy to panic once realizing what he had done. Ryan stood confused.

He opened the window!

No comments: