Friday, October 24, 2008

TavesSoul - Issue 2: Trial and Error

I've always been into comics. I mean always. Well, okay, that's not actually possible, but you get what I mean. There may have been a few years when I was "too cool" to go get new ones, but I still reread my old ones. So, of course, the day after I found out that I had an ability, I started hauling out my old comics to see what sort of light-based abilities I could find. I mean, there was Dazzler, who converted sound into light, but that clearly wasn't it. From what I'd been able to play around with, it seemed that I could absorb light. Even manipulate it abit. It had nothing to do with sound. It seemed that my powers were more inline with Dr. Light, or the Ray. Well, I could hope, couldn't I. So far, all I'd been able to do was increase and decrease light, and absorb it to project it later. Not much, but atleast it was something.

I spent most of the early afternoon, which is my morning, reading issue after issue of comics with lightbased heroes, just trying to gather ideas. It was the best way I could think of to try and figure out new things to try. Some of the stuff, like flying, I was barely gonna try. I mean, come on, I'm not Peter Peterelli here. There would be no jumping off buildings for this kid. After compiling a list of things I thought I should try, I went upstairs and turned on all the lights. First, I tried the flight thing. "Okay Greg, let's just jump in the air a couple times, and think flying thoughts," I said to myself. Now, your probably asking yourself 'what the hell's a flying thought?' That's fair, as I was asking myself the same question. After alot of trial and failure with various extreme light abilities, I sat down to work on the basics. Sitting in front of a desk lamp, which I turned on, I toyed with both increasing it's dimness and brightness, even stealing all of it's light.

"Great, Greg. So far, in all your trials, you've established what you already knew: that you could dim and increase lights, and steal light from things. Awesome. Swartz gets TK, Seguin gets telepathy, and you get to be a human lightswitch. Heck, you could even be your own mood lighting. Maybe even a human flashlight. Seriously, I'm happy that I can do something, but on a scale of lameness, God, the power you gave me seems to rank near the top. Right up there with being able to talk to fish, and shooting lasers from my eyes. Strike that, I'd take the lasers at this point."

It was during this, one of my normal soliloquy moments that turns into talking to God, that I realised I was glowing again. "Right, and I glow. Awesome. How could I forget?" But it was sitting there glowing, that I finally used my brian. I mean, for all the apparent smarts I have, it took me until that moment to realize exactly what was going on. "Wait, the other night, when the guy shot at me, the bullets seemed to pass through me, right... and I was glowing then. Maybe, just maybe..." I stood up. I checked to make sure I was still glowing. I then I willed myself too the otherside of the hall. What happened next, I still don't know how to describe. I've done it since, but that doesn't make it any easier to describe. One moment I was looking at the end of the hall, the next I was flying, or atleast floating of some type, towards it. It seemed to take less then a second in all, while also seeming to take 5. "Whoa," I said out loud, "okay, I'll stop complaining. Maybe this is much cooler then I thought."

No comments: