Friday, October 24, 2008

Seg - Issue 9: Playing with Strength

Playing with Strength



I was waiting in the parking lot with Taves, we just left behind his girl and headed towards the mall, I had requested a Tim Horton’s stop; needed a buzz. The drive threw machine was broken so we had to go in, Taves waited in the car, he didn’t feel like moving around too much, poor guy, I think he really liked this girl, but I wouldn’t know what that’s like, I’ve never been in love. Man, he’s playing ‘bleeding love,’ on his ipod, alright, that was my cue to grab the coffees.




“I’ll be right back man, it’ll take a while.”




The line was huge and the spectacle was hilarious; everyone standing around, wondering what they ever did without drive threw, I couldn’t help but laugh, because lines didn’t bother me. Now standing there, I got that chilling feeling, the one you get when you’re being watched, but from where? I looked around and saw no one suspicious. On the other side of store, in the opposite parking lot from where Taves was parked, a black car sat ideally, running, with its window down, from which peered familiar eyes. I abandoned the line, and made my way outside; Taves couldn’t see, he couldn’t know.




“Hi Amy, wanna grab a coffee, talk a bit, oh wait, you’re a crazy bitch, my bad. What do you want?”




Amy smiled, “now, now, let’s be professional about this. I have plenty of questions for you.”




“Professional? What about when we fucked in cargo, were you still on job then too or how about when you tried to kill me?”




She laughed aloud now, “No, sex wasn’t in my contract, but you’re just so damn cute, couldn’t help myself, I’m sure you’ll forgive me for that. Relax, think of this as a social call, get in car, I’ll tell you all about it.”




I was hesitant, “No candy? Shit, kidnappers were much smarter when I was kid. You try anything and I’ll mind fuck you!”




I realized that Amy, as well as the company as a whole, were still under the impression that I was a telepath, and as long as they didn’t know my true ability, I had the upper hand. “Play to your strengths; that’s how you win.” The car was real fancy, I know nothing of cars, so I couldn’t recall the make or model, but the seats were leather, and the back seat was spacious. I entered. Sitting the front seat, the driver looked plain enough. The man ridding shot-gun was familiar; he wore what looked like a trench coat, under which he was suited, and his head wore top-hat. ‘That’s old school’ I thought. But then again, he was old. Where did I know him from?




Amy began, “I’ll be straight with you; we need your help. Understand that the incident on the plane was a mission carried out under the guise that you were a threat. Let’s be honest, you were using your ability for less than construct purposes. But you’re not the one we want. You’re friend Ryan Swartz or Venom,”




From the front seat, announced the old man, “Vengeance.”




Amy continued, “Right. He’s killed a man, in cold blood too, did you know that? He’s interested in control, in power, he’s not someone to be trusted, and he’ll take you out if it benefits him. I’m sure you know this, you’ve read his thoughts I’m sure.”




I shook my head as if I understood and even agreed with her. But I was working on a plan in my head. Damn, she was still fine, which distracted me to say the least. Is it weird that the whole, ‘trying to kill me thing’ was kind of a turn on? Yes, it definitely was. The old man sitting in the front sparked up a cigarette. I coughed, pretending it bothered me, but in truth, I wasn’t even breathing. Amy went on to detail a mission for me; if I accepted it I would be compensated.




“You see, Ryan, we take care of each other, you do something for us, we do something for. What do you want, money, women, another roll in the hay, or a combination thereof? It doesn’t matter, because we can get it, just name your price. We want Vengeance, dead, out of the picture; he’s already caused enough damage. Last night, he tried to blow up Fairview Mall, and nearly killed one of our associates offering him asylum.”




She didn’t know I was there, but I’m sure the moment ‘H’ is able to he’d identify me as the guy who pulled the trigger on him. I needed to act quickly and it was time to take some chances. I understood the situation, they couldn’t get close enough to Swartz without him TK’ing the hell out them; they needed someone on the inside. I made a decision.




“So what can you do to help me pull this off. Swartz has been wearing this weird hat lately. I don’t know where he got, but it’s been blocking my telepathy, kind of the same way your head-band does. I think he’s been planning to move against me. He wants this girl I’ve been interested in for years. Anyway, what I really need is money, lots of money.”




Amy appeared grateful, “Of course, whatever you need. Should two million cover the bill?”




I laughed, “Yeah, that should do just fine, thanks,” I’m sure they planned on killing upon completion, but if I could get hold of that money even for a minute, I had a chance of getting away with it, bullets down really slow me down anymore. Besides, without my telepathy, money was not readily available anymore.




She continued, “What do you need from us?”




“Well, I can’t just attack him; he’ll kill me before I even move. He’s already planning something, so he’ll suspect something obvious, it has to be subtle.”




Amy sat up and put her hand on my leg, “That’s not a problem, I can build something, anything really, it’s my gift; if you can name it I can make it. What did you have in mind?”




I smiled, putting my arm around her, “I was thinking electricity. I want him to suffer a bit. He wears a retainer at night when he sleeps, it’s perfect. If you could make it so that it electrocutes him when he bites down, he’ll be in pain, unaware how it’s happening, and then dead before he knows it, not bad eh?”




“Shocking, I like it. You’re creative, in a twisted way. I find that very, hot. I’ll have it ready for tomorrow night,”




“How will you know where I am?”




She kissed me and it was intense, “that won’t be a problem; we’re really good at what we do. Tomorrow night then, you’ll get it.”




I opened the door and smiled back,




“Don’t follow me, I with my friend, he’ll suspect something’s up if he sees a black car behind us, he’s quick about things like that.”




“Yes, Mr. Taves has proved very resourceful, we tried to talk with him, but he keeps, zooming away. Enjoy your coffee Ryan, and in two days from now you’ll be a very rich man, and maybe we can become better friends. And don’t forget these.”




She handed me two large Double-Double’s. That’s creepy, they even know how I take my coffee, “Thanks, see you around.”




I rushed back to the car. Taves was a little surprised how long it took,




“How the hell does a drive threw machine break like that?”




I looked back, as Amy’s car drove off, “I don’t know, must have been a ghost in the machine, here’s your drink, lets get out of here,” Taking a piece of paper from my pocket, I wrote down what had just happened, and passing the note to Taves, his eyes went big. I had to be cautious, they could still be watching, or listening. Taves responded accordingly.




“So I thought I saw you talking to some people over there, who was it?”




“No one, high school friends, I hate awkward talks,”




Taves sped away, we headed to our destination. I had a plan now. If everything worked according to plan, I could end up with a handsome bank account, and a new toy that would work to my advantage, my strengths; it was time to focus on how I could become indispensable in battle, I had a sense we were headed for war.


No comments: