Friday, October 24, 2008

TavesSoul - Issue 7: Revelations

So now your all caught up. Here I am, tied to this chair, in room that looks like the office of some company’s president sitting about 10 feet in front of a window out of which I could see the night sky, and the lights of the city twinkling below. Best yet, I haven’t the foggiest clue as to why I‘m here, or by who I was put here. All I know is they know who I am, and they went to some trouble to get me. Also, I can’t seem to get my powers to work quite yet, which is apparently one of the effects of this drug they so kindly injected me with. In front of me stands Mr. Bald-Glasses.
“Who are you?” I asked again.

“My name is Agent Alvis. I work for an Canadian/American organization that is run by both governments together. Its name is unimportant at this juncture, as it’s not one you’ve ever heard before, but suffice it to say, it’s weight carries to both the Prime Minister and President. What we do is track people like you, and the good ones we ask to join us on our side. The others, well, we do our best to put them under wraps.” He spoke clearly and succinctly, pacing back and forth before me. “We’ve known of you and who you are since you broke up that robbery at the Kinko’s and got yourself caught on camera. Not so smart not wearing a costume and mask of some sort, but I see you’ve remedied that now.” He pointed to a table that stood off to my left, on which laid my mask. I tried to phase into light mode, but there was none of that happening.
“Ah, yes, your powers. They should remain out for the next 15 minutes or so. Don’t worry, the drug doesn’t permanently change anything. Just helps us get a handle on you lot. You would not imagine the problems we had wrangling the first one of you. Anyhow, that doesn’t matter. As I was saying, I’m here to offer you a job. We want you to help us track down other with ‘gifts‘ who‘ve gone rogue, and help us make these problems ‘disappear‘. If you accept our offer, you’ll be rewarded handsomely, and taught extensively in both how to master your powers, and where they come from. You‘ll also be teamed with others with, how should I say, unique abilities like you, ” he said, a small grin playing on his lips. Clearly, he saw the fire that lit in my eyes at the suggestion of getting to know more people like me. I mean, I knew of Seguin and Swartz, but until this point, I wasn’t sure how wide-spread this was, or if we were the only ones. The fact that this organization even existed spoke to the fact that there were more people with powers out there then just us. That thought intrigued me, but also scared me. The thought of some super-powered sociopath out there worried me. How was I supposed to deal with that. This isn’t like the comics, where I have some mentor to teach me the ropes. That is, unless I signed up with these guys.

“You make an interesting offer,” I said, looking past him at the light on the desk. I reached out to it, and it flickered for an instant. That’s better. “The only thing is, the good guys don’t do things like trick the other good guys into being caught, or drugging them, or tying them to chairs. So, that means that while you have good intents maybe, you aren’t the good guys. Plus, I’m not much of one for working for the government. Sure, it’ll, mean an awesome pension, and good pay, but I like to actually somewhat earn my money.” At this, I smiled up at Agent Alvis, trying to convey just how much this play of his wasn’t going to work on me.
“Well, that’s too bad. We were hoping you’d sign up with us, and help us work a local case here. Oh well, it was worth a try. I guess your free to go. But not before Agent Mneme takes away your memories of this entire day. Wouldn’t want too many people knowing about us.” He picked up a file from the same table as my mask, and started to walk behind me, towards what I presumed was the door. Concurrently, a woman, who I can only assume was Agent Mneme, walked in front of me, starting to reach out for my head.

So here I am, trying to decide whether I would rather have my memory erased, or defy proper authorities for the second time this week. Really, considering what I know about this organization, they don’t seem very proper at all. Plus, I doubt they’d bother coming after me if I got away, since they knew I was a good guy. And, I really didn’t like the thought of losing memories of my dinner with Katelyn. Screw it.. I didn’t like the thought of anyone messing with my memories. I ‘reached out’ towards the lights in the room. Instantly the room went dark. I phased into light mode, and stood up from the chair, knocking Agent Mneme over on my way up. In the next moment, I flashed myself in front of the doorway, blocking Alvis from his only exit. He glanced up and shock washed over his face.
“I’m afraid I can’t let that happen. I’m kinda partial to my memories of this day. Now, I know you don’t think I’m a bad guy, so I doubt you’ll come for me, but just in case,” I said, and I reached out and snatched the folder from his hand, “I’ll take this, and keep it somewhere safe. If I even get the feeling your after me, or I ‘disappear’, well, this will end up in the news agencies hands, and you won’t be so secret anymore. But don’t worry, I’m not gonna go blabbing about you guys in the meantime.” I started walking towards the window, and I grabbed my mask off the table as I walked, placing it on my face.

“You know, you should really work with us. We could use someone like you, and you could definitely use people like us. My card’s in the folder when you change your mind,” said Alvis from behind me. “And before you say you won’t, you will. There are organizations much worse then us out for people like you, and when you run into them, you’ll wish you had our help. I’ll be waiting for your call on that day.” I didn’t bother to look back. I only ‘phased’ out the window, and flashed myself down to the ground. I flashed myself as many city blocks away, until I felt completely comfortable that I was far enough away. I caught a glimpse of the Skydome as I flashed, confirming my suspicion that I was in T.O. I stopped in a well lit park, and I hunkered down on my knees, and opened the file I had in my hand. Paper clipped inside was Agent Alvis card, which contained just his name, and a number. I took it, and put it in my wallet. I wasn’t sure I’d ever need to call him, but what he said at the end there still echoed in my head. There are organizations much worse then us out for people like you, and when you run into them, you’ll wish you had our help. That thought worried me. The fact that there were people tracking us down was worrisome enough, but the thought that they had worse intent then Alvis’ bunch worried me more. Still pondering that thought, I looked down upon the first page of the opened folder. I read the word Vengence printed above a picture. I glanced at the picture, and nearly dropped the folder. “Shit Ryan, what have you got yourself into that these guys are after you.”

No comments: