Friday, October 24, 2008

Swarley - Issue 2: How To Get What You Want, When You Want It

Some
might frown on what I've done, but it really doesn't matter to me. As I laid
there in bed with the woman in my arms who had become my prize, I was content.
The sweet smell of her hair, and the heat of her body pressed against mine
almost made me forget the life I may have ruined to get there. In my mind was a
genuine feeling of power and control - I had been given the power to shape the
very reality I lived in as I saw fit. I felt as though I were a king, with
anything I wanted now only a mere request away. But even kings didn't have what
I did, I was more than they could have ever dreamed to be. I was creation at its
finest.





Yet I
struggled. As I stared up at the ceiling, I felt my concerns compound and take
shape, and they asked me if I knew who I was anymore. To tell the truth, I
wasn't sure I did; so much had happened over the last couple of weeks, and it
had all been so fast. They had been the greatest and most confusing days of my
life, and had changed me irrevocably. I learned so much so quickly, and it had
given me a definite confidence that I had never known before. When you learn to
stop a man dead in his tracks with only your will, your mind goes through
somewhat of a metamorphosis. Was I still the same Ryan I had always been, or
had I become someone else? I would have liked to have thought more, but I was
distracted by movement against my skin. I looked over to see that she was now
facing me, and was once again content as I was greeted by a tiny smile; she
must have been having good dreams.





I wasn't
much inclined to sleep that night however, as every time I closed my eyes, I
remembered what I'd done. It wasn't so much that I was ashamed of my actions,
but more that I didn't know how to feel about them. I didn't want to think
about it; but every time I felt her move against me, I remembered. Even as I
resisted, I felt myself give in, and the images came rushing back; everything I
did just to have her.





------





There I
was again, sitting in that same Williams coffee pub, staring at her from afar.
She was gorgeous – about 5' 5", skinny, with long blonde hair that she
usually tied up into a bun. She had a smile that would make me melt every time
I saw it, and the cutest little inkling of an Australian accent. Even the
little things about her had me, like the way she would crinkle her nose just a
little bit every time she laughed or the how she always seemed happy, no matter
what she was doing. She was everything I wanted, but couldn’t have.





Gary was his name, and he was the roadblock that
inevitably stood between me and my desires. I’ll be damned if he wasn’t the
hugest road block I’d ever encountered either – standing at almost 6’6”, and
probably 250 lbs, he was a solid brick wall. To make matters worse, from what I
gathered he was also a fireman. I’d never even thought of crossing the man before,
but today was different; I was different. I didn’t need to fear him anymore.





I sat
there in my seat, sipping on my coffee for a long time that day, trying to
devise the best way to take him out of the equation. At first I tried to be
incredibly crafty, imagining myself as one of those characters in a mystery
movie, trying to plan my steps with remarkable creativity and foresight. However,
as expected, it proved a little too challenging. I’d thought of using my power
to cause tension between them by causing them to appear to do things that they
didn’t, to put myself in a good light by fixing situations, and even for
blackmail purposes, but for the life of me I couldn’t link them together in any
plausible way. It was frustrating. Having this power was supposed to make this
easy for me, but still I struggled. I wondered if comic book villains had this
hard of a time when they first started plotting their diabolical schemes.





Distraught,
I looked out through the glass of the large window beside me to find something
to distract me if even for a moment. In the parking lot, I noticed a young
couple talking and looking very irate with each other. Then, suddenly reacting
to something the guy had said, a disgusted look came across the girl’s face and
she shoved him into the car beside them and started walking away. I let a smirk
cross my lips as I tried to imagine what the guy had said, and then it hit me;
it didn’t have to be as hard as I was making it. I could put him in his place
just as she had done, and I knew exactly how I would do it. Not wasting a
moment, I hopped out of my seat, returned my mug to the counter, said a quick
goodbye to the girl of my dreams, and left the Williams.





------





I was
thirsty and decided to get up to get a quick drink of water. I walked to the
bathroom, took the cup from the counter and turned the tap on to fill it. The
water was cold but felt good going down. When I finished, I put down the cup
and took a moment to look at myself in the mirror. I looked tired, but that was
to be expected – it had been a long night. I smiled a little at that thought,
and as I did so, I remembered how I’d smiled that exact same smile as I ruined
his life. I put my head down and the memories flooded me again.





------





My plan
was quite simple in its execution really; it was only the morals that were
questionable. I had decided to look past the morals though by that point, else
I wouldn’t have been sitting in the bushes across the street from his house,
awaiting his arrival. Everything was in place, the recording of my voice with
specific instructions for him, and of course, my power. It was late at night
now, and I was starting to get impatient. My heart was pounding and I was
nervous, but at the same time, it was also exhilarating. What I was about to do
was unlike anything I ever could have dreamed to do before I had realized my
ability. I was dying to use my abilities in a real situation, and the best part
about this was that he would never know it was me. I had a vantage point on his
driveway from which I could not be seen – it was perfect.

I grew so
impatient however, that I had almost allowed myself to start moving small
objects around in my general vicinity by the time the car’s lights came into
view. When I caught sight of them though, my poise returned and the game was
on. I watched as he stepped out of his car, took a moment to stretch and
started walking towards his house. This was the moment; I raised my hand a
little to focus my ability and caught him in mid-step. I almost laughed as I observed
the look of incredulousness strike his face. I could feel him struggling
against my grasp, trying to break free, but he was going nowhere – my power was
absolute. I toyed with him some more, lifting him from the ground, causing him
to levitate slightly, completely removing any element of control he might have
still been hanging onto. This was my scene, and it was time to let him know.
Focusing my power to a point as I had trained myself to do, I pushed down the
play button on the recorder I had hidden nearby, and my voice rang out to him.





“Are you
afraid?” it started, attempting to unnerve him, “because you should be. Do you
feel helpless? You should feel that way also. Know that your fate is now in my
hands, and that I will do with it as I see fit. Listen well, for I will not
repeat myself.”





There was
a pause in the tape, and during that moment, I could hear my own heartbeat,
pounding loudly in my chest, the adrenalin taking over me now.





“I am
going to tell you to do something,” it continued, “and you are going to obey.
You have no choice in this matter. If you try to cross me, your punishment will
be swift, and it will be severe. Know that obedience is your only option. I am
everywhere, and I see everything. Do as I tell you, and you will never need
hear from me again.”





I could
feel the uneasiness resonating from him now. He was genuinely scared, and he
had reason to be. He hadn’t heard the worst yet though.





“You are
going to leave town, and sever your connections with everyone you ever knew. You
must make it clear to those you love that you will never return. Do this, and I
will be appeased. Choose to defy me however…”





This was
my moment of action. I gathered up force and propelled him towards his garage
door with enough force to rattle it at its hinges and send him to the ground,
yelping in pain. The tape continued.





“And that
will seem like a nice massage. My wrath knows no bounds for those who disobey
me. I would advise that you aim to please. Farewell for now, Gary,” the tape finished in closing, “for
your sake, let us hope this is the last we speak.”





I smiled.





------





I shook
my head to push the thoughts away. It didn’t matter anymore. Everything had
gone exactly as I’d planned it; I’d been able to dispose of the tape and
recorder easily enough, and Gary, much to his benefit, decided to listen after
a couple of days spent on his own. Amazing what putting the fear of God in a
man can do. No one knew a thing that would paint me as a suspect, and they
never would. I left no trace. Even seducing her after he’d left had proved to
be easier than I’d hoped. The girl had a soft spot for “magic”, and I was happy to indulge. I had gotten everything I wanted.

“Ryan?” came a quiet voice from the bedroom, snapping me back to reality. “Come back to bed,” she pleaded. I took one last glance at myself in the mirror, convinced now that my happiness was genuine and sound, and gave myself a sly wink.





“Coming,”
I whispered back, as I turned off the bathroom light and rounded the corner
back into the bedroom.

No comments: