Friday, October 24, 2008

TavesSoul - Issue 3: Things Aren't Always Light and Dark

Sure, I thought about the costume. It's one of the first things I thought of. But, thinking up a costume, and making one are two total different things, and I knew I couldn't sit and wait for one. I considered talking to my friend Sarah about making part of it, and decided that was probably what I'd have to do, explaining it was for a Halloween costume or something, and then stitching on the other different parts myself to make it unique enought that she wouldn't recognize it if she ever saw me in it. So, while I sketched out designs during the morning, I decided conciously that I had to get out and do stuff that night. Night seemed like the best time. Hid my features better, and also allowed me to go out now, and use my ability to glow to make myself indistinguishable, due to the light blurring my features. It'd have to do for now. Clearly, I couldn't not try to do good things now.

Now, I went to work as usual, knowing that getting off at 12 allowed me the opportunity to do some real work during the late night hours. I 'borrowed' one of my Uncle's scanners to monitor emergency services frequencies, and I parked down by the Universities. I had done research the past couple days, and found that most break-ins occured by the Universities. I sat in my car, after having changed into my black jeans, black shirt, and black long coat, and listened to the scanner, resting my eyes while waiting. At about 12:45, I was awoken to reports of silent alarm set off at the Kinkos just one block from where I was parked. "About time something happened," I muttered, getting our of my car.

It took me all of about a half second to get down the block, doing my little movement trick. "Flash"-ing was great for moving in straight lines so far, but I didn't have enough experience with it to really master turns and other stuff yet. Still, it was still awesome to know I could move that fast. "This power thing definitely has it's awesome parts," I said to myself. I first stole the light from the light fixtures lighting the sidewalk infront of the store, and then "flashed" myself to the front of the building, just infront of a wall. I peered into the window to my left, and say one perp holding a gun on the three workers inside by the desk, with the other two taking all the computer towers and putting them in boxes. Clearly this was my time to shine.

I stole the light from the stores ceiling lights first. That was the easy part. I could hear them pretty clearly from inside the store. "What the fuck just happened to the lights? Is it the cops?" said one of the perps packing the towers up. They all looked the same in their get-up of leather jackets, black jeans, and black sky masks. If your wondering how I could see them at all, the faint glow from the computer monitors is enough when light is your thing. The man with the gun glanced his way. "No, Jimbo. We know they won't be here for another 4 minutes. So get back to packing." "But I can barely since, Brian," complained, shuffling slowly toward the desk. I let them slowly pack the rest of the towers over the next minute, waiting for their eyes to adjust. I knew I had one shot at this, and I'd have to use everything I knew I could do to pull this off. When they had packed them all, and I knew their eyes would be used to the dark, I channeled all of the light stored up inside me, and pushed it out toward the windows. This resulted in a blinding flash of light, which I was depending on to keep them off balance, and from seeing clearly. I swung the door open, and "flashed" into the man with the gun while he was still wiping his eyes. He flew into the desk behind him, hitting it with enough force that it knocked his wind out, and the gun went flying back behind all the hostages. Next I swung around to face the two perps by the computers, just intime to see one pulling a gun. "Shit," I said, and dove to my right. He fired at where he heard my voice, and the bullet missed me by about a foot, but the flash from the gun plus the light from the monitors were all I needed to turn to light mode. I charged at him, and concentrated on my foot as I swung it up into his groin. It connected hard, and he dropped to his knees, just as I swung my fist into his head. He was out with that. I turned to face the other perp, still glowing. We stood there, staring at each other for about 5 seconds. "Fuck this," he said, and he ran out the door. Just then, I heard the police sirens. I looked at the leader, guy, still on his hands and knees on by the desk wheezing, and walked up to him. I grabbed him by the mask, and pulled it off. I wanted to see the face of a criminal. I looked at him... and that's when I realized I knew him.

No comments: