Friday, October 24, 2008

Seg - Issue 11: The Rise of Alastor

I had just made a pot of coffee and the smell was like a sweet perfume. How sad it is to know, that I’ll never enjoy coffee the same way again.

“I love coffee,” mumbled Swartz, half asleep and staggered.
I laughed, “Dude, it’s 4 in the morning.”
“Wha? Why are you up then, why is there coffee?”
I felt a little embarrassed, but I had to be honest, “I just wanted to taste it, you know; it never feels the same anymore.”
“Why aren’t you sleeping, and why is there coffee?”
I padded him on the back and told him to go back to sleep. He was too tired to remember: I don’t sleep.

The lunches I made were delicious. In our three months of being here, I had become somewhat of a hunter of small game. This remote forest in Augusta County provided a spectacle of animal game. My weapon of choice was a spear, crafted by hand. I’m glad I did all my hunting while the others were asleep; I must look ridicules running around with a stick, chasing down rabbits and deer. I made lunch, not breakfast, because Taves and Swartz usually slept in. There was no reason for them to wake up early; there was no reason to do much at all. I started hunting out of boredom; unlike the others, I endure 24 hours of the day uninterrupted, and in this case, with nothing to do. We were in hiding now, and keeping a low profile was a pretty shitty affair. No malls, no theatres, no big buildings, no parties, no work, no school, no peers, no women! This was beginning to feel less like hiding, and more like prison.
This cottage we found by seeming coincidence was in the heart of Virginia. The town closest to our home, was a place called Nous; the population was minimal, and seemingly insignificant in stature. The physicality of the streets was common, made up mostly by small shops and office buildings, and on the edge of town, a few factories. It was more a village community than a town. The Mayor boasted a higher population count, but the town’s folk were around 7,000. I had journeyed the five mile hike once or twice, just to pick up necessities, but had felt compelled to stay for reason I don’t yet know. Ever since I had discovered that I was among the few who bare fantastic abilities, I’ve had vivid dreams, and been drawn or repelled by things as random as towns or people. This strange rabbit is always outside our home. I know it’s the same one, because it’s whiter than all the rest, and though I’ve tried hunting it, it disappears without a trace. Why have we been dropped here?

The night was already well in, and the moon was shadowed by thick clouds. I was on the hunt, as was my custom around 4 in the morning. Three wolves tried hunting my game, but they messed with the wrong hunter. I managed to scare them off my prey; the quick, elusive White Rabbit. But they were hungry; their eyes were bright in the ever pervasive dark forest. I wasn’t afraid, just annoyed. Backing up, I planned to hunt something less complicated. Just then, the Rabbit ran by me with lightning speed. The wolves pursued, but I was closer than they. The wolves were on my heels, I could hear their yelps for meat.
After running for what felt like a lifetime, I found myself standing at the edge of civilization; a bridge crossing between the dark forest and the quant town of Nous. I waited for my competition to catch up. The wolves remained at the bridges threshold, seeming hesitant to pass, almost afraid of what laid beyond, but did they have good reason? The White Rabbit dashed right into the heart of town, and I followed. The street lights were dim, and the roads were vacant, like the town that feared sundown, this place was a ghost’s playground at night. I walked the streets, alone and curious. I saw some buildings styled in a modern approach, likely renovated in recent years. And still, others were built in times dating back to Civil War and older.

“How did they remain in such good condition?” I asked of the empty plaza.
Finally, I witnessed the Rabbit run under a building. This place took centre stage in the town’s main street plaza. It was large, like a church of old, but the signs designated it City Hall. I moved slowly, remembering my prey’s uncanny ability to outdo me. Sneaking around the front steps, I glanced under the building. You can imagine the surprise that found me, when there seemed no gap under the building for anything, even something as small as a Rabbit to crawl under. I sat on the stairs, disappointed and unimpressed. Leaning against the door I sighed with discontent. I hated this place, this situation, this life. Why did God give us this power when all it did was rule me like the curse ruled Loup Garou. At that moment, while my thoughts were wondering, the door I leaned against gave way as if suddenly opened, and I fell backwards into the hallway.

I stood to my feet, closing the door behind me as not to raise suspicion. The hallway was decorated with antiques, from periods old and even archaic. On the floor a red carpet travelled straight, and led up to a grand stair case. I felt like I was in a movie, searching for treasure. Alone, I found myself looking back at the door, curious to know how the door was opened in the first place. But never mind that.
“No alarm system, eh? How, Menno Simons of them,” my words echoed the empty building. The stair case was winding, and it led me on a journey up two floors. Once reaching the top, I saw a sight that was too bizarre and strange for this observer to really fathom.
“You gotta be kidding me!”
Perched on the railing, a solid white owl watched me climb the remaining stairs.
I laughed, “What is this, the Jungle Book!” The owl flew down the hallway, and, turning the corner, disappeared. I followed, like Alice in wonder land, or the kids hoping to find Narnia, I was filled with mystery and adventure. Turning the corner, the hallway came to an abrupt ending. “What?!” This can’t be it, not after this seemingly co-ordinated journey. But who was pulling the strings here? At the top of the wall, an inscription was itched in the wood, and was likely there for a long time. I tried reading it, but it was in latin, the words I saw were as clear as day,
“Nec debunt quamvis redeant in aurum Tempora priscum”

Reaching up, I touched the words, and with this movement, I blacked out, as if entering some strange dream, the floor was absent, the walls were gone, and the air was warm.
Finding my self an abyss of nothingness, I planned my escape quickly. In every direction, I saw clouds, beneath me, and above me, stars shone bright, like a great host, an audience; they watched my every move. It was then I heard words echo my new world, but they weren’t my own. Turning quickly, I saw strange women, adorned in robes.

“Do you work here, because I gotta say, the second floor is by far your town’s best tourist attraction.” I chuckled, but the woman did not. Like a flash she was next to me, she struck my face with her heel, and before my body could hit the ground, delivered a solid right hook to my stomach. I was down. I jumped to my feet. Now the woman laughed. Steeping out of nowhere, another being, a man, dressed like a soldier of old, but glad in white, took the opportunity to speak his mind,

“This is him, he’s kind of short!”
“Yes, his power was inherited, at first; he was originally a reader. Then he saved one of us. Now he was gifted with the Shield. He’s made little use of it thus far,”

I had to participate, “Sorry, but I hate when people talk about me like I’m not in the room, or in this case, cloud nine, so I’d like to let you know: I’m right here!”

“Enough,” the man shouted,
The women began, “Listen to me now, Shield of the Heavens. You are not a fool anymore. You have no skin, no hunger, no age; you are like us now, it’s time you started acting like it. Defend yourself.”

The man dashed towards me, so I threw my foot into his face as instinct. He stepped back a second and remarked, “Not bad, but my business is combat, and you’ll need more if you ever want to rival someone like me.”

“Who are you, and where have you brought me?”
The woman let me in on what was actually going on, “You have been drawn here, yes? By forces you don’t yet understand. You feel our presence, and you know there is something different about us. This place exists separate from your world; it is place where things are made. Here, in this space, you will be made anew.”

“No more changing, seriously. How can I even trust you?”
“Trust your instincts, they will never fail you. Part of your gift, is a heightened intuition, and with time, you may sense when things are just and when things are corrupt. Think of it as a moral compass.”
The warrior yelled as if I were deft, “but that will come with patience, for now, we’ve been enlisted by higher authorities to prepare you for your mission; while in this place, outside of time, you will hone your fighting skills, intellect, and wits. Do not be afraid: from this day forward, you will begin to conquer fear by understanding that you are above it, more powerful than it; fear will fear you, ageless one. Now shut up and fight me.”

And so began my training. From the sword to the spear, the bow to the axe; Asian weaponry was the earliest tools for war. The man was not only knowledgeable about weapons; his thirst for battle was never quenched, and after every brief overview he said the same thing, “So then, let us fight,” After a day of strict training, we stopped a moment, and I asked my female friend, who seemed wise and open more open for discussion,

“What about my friends, won’t they wonder where I’ve gone, and why can’t they be here too?”
She seemed amused, “you still think like a man. They will not be bothered. And do not worry, when you return, they will be sharp and experienced, for their training will be taking place too, but not as yours is. It is simple logic, as they are different people than you, they will require different approaches; one shoe does not fit all.”

Over the course of time, time became irrelevant. I studied languages and philosophy, and from the Asian martial arts to the indo-European’s and the hoplites, I learned the short sword, the long sword, the broad sword, and the arts of the archer. We never used modern weapons, and my teachers had little respect for those ‘perversions.’ “Any fool can push a button, or pull a trigger, but none remain in earth who knows the way of the warrior.” The man was serious and dedicated, and for what I had first mistaken for warmongering, I understood now as discipline and love. A warrior only fights because he loves; whether it is the villain who loves his wealth or power, or a hero who saves his lover or defends the defenceless; a skilled fighter only raises his hand when love is in danger. And so I had to choose.

“Tell me Alastor,” the woman inquired, “What is it you love?”
After much time, I had come to realise the truth. I, a normal man, and gifted rouge, loved my world, my friends, my family, the innocent, and even the dejected criminals. All required attention, and for the first time since all this nonsense had began, I realised my position in the world: I could be the one to make a difference. I continued my training with more vigour than ever.

Time had passed, and before I knew any better, I had been in this place for over a year. The seasons were absent, and without any interruption, I had crafted such skill with weapons and combat, that my abilities were deadly. My final test was to confront both my teachers, and overcome them. But this time, they employed such fantastic abilities, leaving me at such a great disadvantage. The man brought from his hand flames, and the woman controlled a spear that seemed to obey her commands; upon throwing it, she willed its return without moving, and their strength was unmatched. The battle I endured seemed to go on for ages, and I was struck down more times than I could count. After my opponents felt the slightest fatigue, I capitalized. My kicks were fast and direct, and the man fell before my feet. By mixing my martial arts, I was unpredictable. Dogging the woman’s spear throw, I manoeuvred so it hit the man. I retrieved the spear, and attempted to wield it. I was flung about, to and froe, unable to calm its intense will. But after some time and devotion, the spear was still, and the woman was in awe. She pronounced,
“It obeys only the truest of heart, and the most skilled of warriors. I concede; you have defeated me, Alastor. But take this lesson and all the others you have learned here; only when one has proven himself true, can he overcome corruption.”

I looked for answers, “What is my mission?”
“Hunt those creatures that stock the night, destroy the evil will of man and his machines, and always defend the innocent. Do this and you will be renewed. The strength of the gods will be with you, always.”

With my head bowed, and my commissioning over with, I found myself standing in the empty hallway again, in the strange building, and above me, the inscription was gone. Had it all been a dream? Perhaps this prolonged time in the woods has given me cabin fever. I paused, looking down at my clinched fist, and in it, a small silver blade shimmered in the dim light.
“It was real?” I murmured to myself,
Just then, a light was shone into my eyes, I turned expecting Taves, but instead found a security guard, both shaky and angry.
“Who are you?! You’re not allowed to be in here, come with me, nice and easy.”
I jumped down the hallway with speed and agility; I brought my skills with me. With one move I dropped him to the floor, and reeling from the pain, he was barely conscious. I felt bad, but it couldn’t be helped. There was no way I was going to prison, not because some rooky was too green to just forget the matter. I moved swiftly down the stairs, making my way out the door. Sprinting now, with great speed I was out of town, and back in the forest. It was the same night. What seemed like over a year, was but a moment in my world; interesting! But I was in for a greater shock.
After dashing through the forest, I heard the wolves crying out, moving closer to me as I jumped about. I stopped. I breathed deeply, and confronted my stockers. The first wolf came from behind me, but my swift kick flung the dog into a tree. The second moved from the front, and a punch to the nose quieted him up quickly enough. Finally, the third wolf stood on a large rock to my right; it waited, as if it planned to pounce at just the right moment. Reaching into my pocket, I pulled out the silver piece. With a single thought, I witnessed the blade transform; going from a small shapeless antique, into a large shimmering spear. I turned to the wolf, “So then, let us fight.” The wolf’s eyes went wide, and it ran away without a second thought. I starred at my new weapon with wonder; I brought its shape down to the size of a coin. Smiling, I placed the coin in my pocket, and I made my way home.

The cottage was quiet. The sun’s first light was sneaking over the hills, but its beauty was over shadowed by an alarming insight. I walked to my room, and the door next to it, Swartz’s door, was wide open. “Strange.” Peering in, I was surprised to see that the room was empty, and Vengeance was gone. Taves came out of his room, startled and half asleep.
He started, “Hey man, I just went to sleep, like an hour ago,”
I laughed. Taves was a night hawk, and was often awake long enough to hang out with me for a bit. But he didn’t know, and how could he. Looking at the empty bed, he turned to me,
“Where’s Swartz?”
I walked back to the kitchen to make breakfast, “If I had to guess, getting skills. Hey, have you ever tried wolf?”


No comments: